Friday, July 15, 2016

A Poem by Charles Eugene Anderson


Dine-In Communion

Eating is Freedom

The signs are everywhere.
I'm hungry.

Eating is Life

Drive.
Pass one.
Drive some more.
Pass another one.

Eating is Divine

Pull off the interstate.
See the right church.
Drive to parking lot.

Eating is Tranquil

The line is too long.
Decide to go in.
Get out of hoover-cruiser.
Adjust pants.
Belt on last notch.
Time for another belt.
God has blessed me.
I'm his faithful servant.

Eating is Girth

I'm ready.
The line inside is almost as long.
I will be forgiven for fasting too long.

Eating is Repentance

I'll stand in line as long as it takes.

Eating is McDonalds

This time my number is twelve.
There were twelve disciples.
I look at the priest behind the counter.
He'll deliver the sacraments if I'm patient a little longer.
He says to me, "What are you waiting for?"
I say, "The Happy Meal."
I take it with my hands open the way I've been taught so many years ago.
The priest speaks to the woman behind me, "May I help the next sinner in line?"



Charles Eugene Anderson lives in Colorado.  He's been lucky enough to be published in many publications for the past twenty.  When Charles isn't writing, he likes muscle cars, running, and baking.  Find out more at www.charlesandersonbooks.com  or amazon.com/author/charleseugeneanderson.




No comments:

Post a Comment