Thursday, January 30, 2014

Two Poems from Your Editor, A.J. Huffman


With Iron

icicles carved from moonbeams, I battle
mind-monsters crawling from moments
of half-sleep.  My adrenaline-junkie REM
ranger rides past me.  His dune buggy
laden with long lost sleep dust.  The bitter
little bastard bites his thumb at me.  I string
a streak of bloody wishes, watch them erupt
just under the skyline.  Spin out, double
flip.  Bogey!  My score is definite
ly improving.




Rhinestone Butterflies

Striped leather strips scar make-shift necks.
Glowing.  Cold.
                           Colder.
                                        Coldest.
                                                       Breath
bending fire
no one can own.
I am their energy.
I am their fight.
Impact
mirrors the image, doubles the weight.
Heavy things cannot fly,
though they can sparkle:
all the same.



A.J. Huffman has published seven solo chapbooks and one joint chapbook through various small presses.  She is a Pushcart Prize nominee, and the winner of the 2012 Promise of Light Haiku Contest.  Her poetry, fiction, and haiku have appeared in hundreds of national and international journals, including Labletter, The James Dickey Review, Bone Orchard, EgoPHobia, Kritya, and Offerta Speciale, in which her work appeared in both English and Italian translation.  She is also the founding editor of Kind of a Hurricane Press.  www.kindofahurricanepress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment